Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Hemsbach

Leaving Berlin we opted for a train to Frankfurt. We were trying to make a leg of the Tour de France and there was just too many kilometers to cover in the time we had. The train would save us a full day of riding. This day, on the whole, wasn't exciting. The ride was beautiful, albeit wet, and it was pretty mellow.

A random side note of that day. We stopped for a quick bite at a KFC, gods forgive us, but it was easy and they offered pizza. A man in a business suit had a quick chat with us about our ride, sharing some of his own past cycling experiences. We've had so many random encounters with people sharing their experiences or generally being curious of ours, all were pleasant. This man in particular lightly scolded us for eating at KFC though, "you must ignore your familiar comforts and enjoy Germany's food!". Of course we responded with "well, what about you, sir?". He chuckled and patted his suit clad belly with a smile. In our defense, we were hungry and this was the first place we came across. For the most part we tried to ignore US food and aim for local flair, but sometimes a bitch has gotta eat(and by bitch, I mean me, because I am not a nice hungry person).

We rode through some small towns, beautiful countryside, I broke a spoke(that's 5, if you're keeping count), and arrived at a campground that had a small lake. Greg swam. I got in up to my knees and complained of cold and Jason Voorhees coming up from the depths with a machete in his hand. We rounded off the day with dinner, wine, and a lovely camping neighbor donating a table and chairs for us to eat at. The conversation charades and my broken German made for a funny exchange.
A weekend train to Frankfurt. They love their bikes, no?

more of those lovely bike roads






I believe this is number 5
A lovely elder lady lent us here table and chairs. Didn't speak a lick of English, but she was so nice
I think I've already said this about Germany, but they do love their cyclists. Eastern Germany was just so relaxing riding throughout the countryside and I could easily see us spending a good chunk of time in that country alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment